I’m a bit of a Food Network addict. With the Cooking Channel out, I split my time a little more evenly, but I can’t stop. I love the recipes and I have my favorite chefs.
Mike's Favorite Chicken Parmesan
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese fershly grated
- 1 tablespoon salt plus more for water
- 2 tablespoons Essence divided
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce divided
- Fresh mozzarella cheese cut into slices
- Fresh basil torn into pieces (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Mix Essence ingredients together in a small bowl; set aside. Store unused essence in an air tight container.
Bring a large pot, filled halfway with water, to a boil over high heat. Generously salt boiling water and add pasta. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook until al dente, stirring occasionally. When ready, drain pasta. Toss with all but 1 1/4 cups of pasta sauce and set aside.
Set up your dredging stations: Station 1 – On a plate: flour mixed with 1 tablespoon salt & 1 tablespoon Essence / Station 2 – In a bowl: egg and milk whisked together / Station 3 – On a plate: Panko bread crumbs, Parmesan, and 1 tablespoon Essence mixed together
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat oil over medium heat in a cast iron skillet. Dredge one chicken breast in the flour, then in the egg mixture, and finally in the bread crumb mixture. Place carefully into hot oil. Repeat with other chicken breast.
Cook chicken for 4 to 5 minutes per side, until golden brown crust forms and chicken is cooked through.
In a 11″ x 8″ baking dish, add 1/2 cup of pasta sauce and roll it around the bottom of the dish to coat. Place chicken breasts on top of sauce in baking dish. Top with remaining pasta sauce. Layer chicken with mozzarella cheese, as much as you like. Place chicken into preheat oven and bake for 12 minutes.
Turn oven to broil. Cook chicken until cheese begins to bubble and get brown spots.
Remove chicken from oven and plate over pasta. Top with torn basil leaves.