Are you ready to have Breakfast for Dinner? That’s right kids, we’re talking brinner. This month’s Pass the Cookbook Club title is Breakfast for Dinner and I couldn’t be more delighted. I’ve had this book of my cookbook pin board for months and now I get a sneak peek.
So if you’re new to the series, here’s a little run down. Each moth we get 3 recipes from a new cookbook (that someone has on their shelf). You pick which recipe you want to make – play with it, tweak it, have fun with it! And then we all share our recipes on posting day. It’s really fun. You can join us by requesting to join the Pass the Cookbook Club facebook group.
This month’s recipes were Breakfast Sausage Ravioli, Italian-Style Stuffed French Toast, and Lemon Poppy Seed Thumbprints. After last month’s ravioli success, that was out. So I ran the other two recipes by Mike and he actually picked the french toast. I was amazed! I totally didn’t see that choice coming. I’m so happy he went there though.
While stuffed french toast sounded good, and stuffing bread is fun and all, all my brain could think was grilled cheese. So I changed things up just a little and made the most freaking amaze-balls sandwich.
This not-so-little baby is creamy and healthy (see: spinach = healthy) and bright and perfectly amazing for summer. I could totally see serving a tray of these on Mother’s Day with a fabulous cocktail or boozy punch. The parmesan gets all melted and the heaps of garlic just made my mouth so happy. I know it’ll do the same for you.
Be sure to check out the other Pass the Cookbook Club recipes at the bottom of this post. And and and…you can enter to win your own copy of Breakfast for Dinner! Yeah. We’re hookin’ it up.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced (or crushed)
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh spinach leaves
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Zest of ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 slices Texas toast style bread
- Butter, room temperature
- Garlic powder, for dusting
- In a medium bowl, mix together ricotta, Parmesan, lemon zest, basil, and oregano; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once pan is hot, add oil and garlic. Saute garlic, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add spinach. Cook until spinach wilts, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove to a bowl.
- Butter one side of each of the 4 pieces of bread. Sprinkle the butter side of the bread with garlic powder, to your liking.
- Place bread, buttered side down, in the same skillet that you used for the spinach. spread half the ricotta mixture over the bread. Layer ½ the spinach on top of the ricotta. Top sandwich with a second piece of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook until bread is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip sandwich over, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until bread is golden and cheese has melted.
- Cut in half and serve warm...or cold. I ate the second sandwich right of the fridge and it was still totally delicious!