Celebrate Halloween with these adorable, tasty Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats and the best part about them is that you can make them today using simple ingredients you already have on hand!
Can you believe there’s only 10 more days until Halloween! Where has this month gone? But seriously, Halloween is one of my favorite days of the year (next to Christmas and my birthday of course!) One of the best parts of being a mom at Halloween is the fun of sharing it with my kids and my kids like probably most kids love Rice Krispie Treats. Oh who am I kidding… I love Rice Krispie Treats!
I love these gooey marshmallow little squares of crisp rice cereal and I wanted to transform them into a fun, Halloween inspired treat my kids and their friends could enjoy. I was going for the classic Frankenstein look, but my daughter actually just calls them “Monster Treats.” She’s 3 so I’m just going to let her have that since she has absolutely no clue who Frankenstein is.
No matter what you decide to call these fun little treats, they are sure to be a crowd favorite this Halloween. I wanted to make them super easy, because that’s pretty much the whole point behind no bake recipes right? No running out to Target to find those little eyeball sprinkles or trying to find pre-made royal icing to glue them on with. Just plain, simple ingredients that the average person would have on hand; I hope you’ll enjoy them and have a Happy Halloween!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 30 large marshmallows
- 4 cups crispy rice cereal
- yellow food coloring
- blue food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- 32 miniature chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- Prepare an 8" x 8" pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large microwave save bowl melt the butter for 1 minute.
- Add the marshmallows and stir to coat, return to the microwave for 1 minute.
- Remove the bowl carefully and add a few drops of yellow food coloring, 1 drop of blue food coloring and 1 teaspoon of vanilla, stir the mixture until smooth.
- Add the crispy rice cereal and stir to coat completely.
- Press the mixture into an 8" x 8" pan and cool completely.
- In a microwave safe bowl heat the heavy cream for 45 seconds, remove carefully and stir in the 1/3 c semisweet chocolate until smooth.
- Spread the chocolate ganache over the top of the rice krispie treats and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes, until set.
- Remove the treats from the refrigerator and slice into 16 bars.
- In a small bowl stir together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth.
- Lay each bar on its side and using a tooth pick make two eyes with the white icing and place a miniature chocolate chip in the center of each eye, then using another tooth pick draw on a chocolate mouth, repeat until all bars are decorated.
- Let sit 10 minutes to dry, then serve.