Are you obsessed with Panda Express orange chicken?
This is the perfect knock off recipe.
Recipe note: If you like a sharp orange bite (nothing too in your face) keep the orange zest in this recipe.
If not, leave it out.
You’ll never go for take out again!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon corn starch, divided
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- Zest of one orange
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons water
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar (really!)
- In a large bowl, egg, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoons vegetable oil. In a medium bowl mix together flour and cornstarch. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and combine – it will look like a thick paste. Add chicken to bowl, and mix with your hands. Do your best to get the coating to stick to the chicken. Everything will be very sticky and you’ll think the chicken isn’t coated enough, but that’s okay.
- In a large skillet or deep-fryer, heat frying oil to 375 degrees F.
- Add chicken pieces, working in small batches. Fry 3 to 4 minutes, or until chicken is golden. If you’re using a deep fryer, the batter may lodge the chicken to the cage, about 1 a minute into frying lift the basket and carefully dislodge chicken with a fork, return basket to oil and continue cooking chicken. remove chicken to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Repeat until all chicken is cooked.
- In a small bowl, combine Orange sauce ingredients; set aside. In another small bowl, combine ¼ cup water with 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth; set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to a large pot over medium high heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook for 15 to 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Add chili flakes, green onions, and rice wine vinegar. Add Orange Sauce and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Add chicken to sauce and stir until chicken is well coated. At this point the sauce will look really thin and like there’s not enough sticking for what you’re envisioning the final product to be. Just go with it.
- Mix water/cornstarch mixture briefly and add to pot; stir to combine. Stir frequently and cook chicken until sauce thickens and the chicken looks like it’s glazed. Remove from heat. Add orange zest and stir to combine. Serve over white rice.