It’s time for another addition of the Secret Recipe Club!
This month I was assigned Canela Kitchen. I was excited to check out a new blog and Gloria did not disappoint. There were just so many recipes I wanted to make. I planned on making her Crabmeat Canelloni, but the weekend got away from me. I spent all day Saturday making a brisket and I wanted to make something easy. And sweet.
Then I discovered Gloria’s love of lemon. She likes it more than chocolate! I’m not quite there, but I do love a really good lemon recipe. I was torn between her Lemon Puddings, Lemon Meringue Bread Pudding (OMG!), and this bundt cake. Per the usual when I can’t decide, I let Mike pick, and bundt cake it was. I have major plans to make the bread pudding and a few other recipes from Gloria’s blog. You really need to check her out.
This cake is moist, delicious, and really easy to make. My house smelled fabulous all morning, and I came home from my lunch shift to find almost half the cake was gone. I guess Mike and the boys liked it. 😉 I’m thinking about making a macaron version of this cake. It could be magic.
One Year Ago: Colorful Spiraled Cookies
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, divided
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray and bread crumbs.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder,poppy seeds, baking soda, and salt. Add 1 cup frozen blueberries to flour mixture and stir to coat berries; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, and vanilla; set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until just combined after each addition.
- Add 1/3 flour mixture to butter mixture, mix until just moistened. Add 1/2 yogurt mixture, mix until just combined. Repeat, alternating flour and yogurt mixtures. Scrape sides of bowl as needed. Batter will be pretty thick.
- Spoon batter into prepared bundt pan. Smooth top of batter until even. Top with remaining 1/2 cup frozen blueberries.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest. If glaze is too thick, add more milk; if glaze is too thin, add more powdered sugar. Drizzle over warm cake.