Hissy Fit Dip is a game day staple at my house! This cheesy dip is studded with sausage and packed with flavor for a party bite you can’t help but love!
It’s almost that time of year. The biggest football game of the year is coming up in a just a few short days and I’ve started planning our game day menu! While I love a good combination of sweet and savory, I decided to keep thing a little more manly this year and make a meat cheesy dip.
Most of you are probably thinking, “What’s with the name of this dip?” That’s a valid question. So here’s a little history…
Rumor has it that the first time this was served at an SEC tailgating party; it was so popular that it was gone in no time flat! One uppity Southern belle who missed tasting the new recipe was distraught and pitched a big hissy fit, hence forth the name.
(SEC = Southeastern Conference NCAA football for my non-college football enthusiast readers)
Basically, we’re talking about a dip so good people literally go crazy over it, and who wouldn’t want to eat that? This first time we had this dip I made to take to my mom’s house for Christmas. My mom LOVED the dip! Even Mike who was weary with the addition of breakfast style sausage in a dip got on the Hissy Fit Dip train.
This recipe is a guaranteed winner for your game day party. If you want to make this dip in the crock pot, grab my recipe Slow Cooker Hissy Fit Dip. Just mix everything together, and forget about it while you prep the rest of your munchies!
Hungry for more?
- 1 pound breakfast-tyle pork sausage
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 8 ounces Velveeta, cut into small cubes
- 4 ounces shredded Muenster cheese (Monterey Jack would work too)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, cut into tiny pieces
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground sage
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9" x 9" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and cook the sausage until browned. Be sure to break the sausage into small pieces while it cooks.
- Drain the sausage on a paper towel lined plate, and then place in a large mixing bowl.
- To the sausage, add the sour cream, cream cheese, Velveeta, shredded cheese, chives, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, and sage. Use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to mix everything together.
- Once the ingredients are evenly combined, transfer the dip to the prepared baking dish. Use the rubber spatula or the back of the spoon to spread the ingredients evenly in the dish.
- Bake for 1 hour until bubbly and golden brown. Carefully remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving. (Really, give it time to set up. The dip will be a bit liquidy right out of the oven.)
- Serve warm with crackers or crostini.