Let’s talk dessert. I love to bake. Apart from butcher a whole kitchen, it’s my zen place in the kitchen. I know that if I combine sugar, butter, flour, chocolate chips, and a few other ingredients I’ll have my favorite chocolate chip cookies. It’s nice to have that kind of assurance.
Sometimes it’s nice to have a really easy dessert that you can let do the magic all on its own. This is that kind of cake. I have never made dessert in a crock pot. I saw this Rocky Road Chocolate Cake on My Recipes, and thought Mike might get on board with the flavor profile.
It’s pretty darn good. The cake gets steamed in the crock pot, so it has a different texture than baking, but the flavors are good. Now, I’m not sure if it’s because I made a half batch of cake in a smaller crock pot, but I had some pudding-ish liquid under make cake when I served it. I’m thinking I should had left it in the crock pot longer?!? Or that it was too thick and if I had cooked it in my big crock pot it would have had the right surface area to batter ratio. Getting real here people. Food blogging isn’t all perfect first tries and one shot photography sessions. At least this cake tastes good!
Guess I’ll just have to make it again. Darn.
I’ve teamed up with some of my friends to bring you a great list of slow cooker dessert recipes today! There are 10 scrumptious recipes to check out today. If you love slow cooker dishes then check out #crocktoberfest2013 on facebook, twitter, and instagram to find all the other recipes that were shared this week.
Pumpkin Rice Pudding from Around My Family Table
Crock Pot Baked Apples from Eat Drink Love
Crock Pot Pumpkin Coffee Cake from A Night Owl
Slow Cooker Moist Chocolate & Caramel Cake from 365 Days of Crockpot
Crock Pot Tapioca Pudding from Juanita’s Cocina
Crock Pot Tiramisu Bread Pudding from Cookie Monster Cooking
Cherry Cobbler in the Slow Cooker from Curry & Comfort
Caramelized Apples in the Slow Cooker from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Fudgy Peanut Butter Cake from Pink Cake Plate
One Year Ago: Ghost Cupcakes
- One (18.25 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
- One (3.9 ounce) package INSTANT chocolate pudding mix
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3¼ cups milk, divided
- One (3.4 ounce) package COOK-AND-SERVE chocolate pudding mix
- ½ cup peanuts, shelled
- 1½ cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Coat the inside of a 4-quart crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Set crock pot to LOW.
- In a large bowl, beat together cake mix, instant chocolate pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, butter, vanilla, and 1¼ cups milk until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go. Pour batter into prepared crock pot.
- Pour remaining 2 cups milk into a medium sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until milk just begins to bubble - DO NOT boil milk; remove from heat, set aside.
- Sprinkle the cook-and-serve chocolate pudding over the top of the cake batter in the crock pot. Evenly pour hot milk over the pudding mix.
- Cover crock pot, and cook for 3½ hours.
- Remove cover from crock pot. Sprinkle cake with marshmallows, peanuts, and chocolate chips. Replace cover, turn off crock pot, and allow 15 minutes for the marshmallows to soften and chocolate chips to melt and little. Spoon cake into dessert dishes. Top with vanilla ice cream is desired.