This Sour Cream Noodle Bake is an easy weeknight meal that’ll have everyone running to the dinner table!
I’m a self-proclaimed carboholic. Bread, pasta, pastries, cakes, I love them all. I regularly buy a loaf of french bread at the store and graze on it all day. It’s the best! So it’s no surprise that pasta dishes, like this one, make a regular appearance at my house. They’re filling and are a breeze to make. Boil a pot of water, cook the noodles, and so other yummy stuff, and voila! Dinner!
I first came across this recipe in a menu plan from another blogger. I had made a few of Kristan’s recipes and loved them, so if she signed off on a recipe I knew if had to be good. So, years ago, I made this noodle bake and l-o-v-e-d it! It was easy, no crazy flavors (my husbands’s a pick easter sometimes), and the leftovers were good too. Comfort food all the way. A year of two later, I realized this recipe was from The Pioneer Woman. I had started making this dish before her Food Network Show so she wasn’t famous in my house yet. But now I have a couple of Ree’s cookbooks and love trying her dishes too.
While this recipe is pretty simple, I did add some flavor boosters of my own. A little onion and garlic in with the ground beef makes a world of difference. Ree likes to mix in some green onion with her sour cream mixture too, but Mike’s not into that so I didn’t use them. They would be a great garnish on top too for some more color. I’ve even been know to throw some French’s onions on top of the cheese during the last 5 minutes of cooking for a little crunch. It’s pretty delicious. Once your family tries this dish, they will ask for it again and again.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled & diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and onions and cook until the beef is almost completely browned and the onions have softened about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning.
- Add the tomato sauce to the skillet, stir to combine, and simmer while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the egg noodles and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the sour cream, cottage cheese, pepper, onion powder until evenly combined.
- Add the sour cream mixture to the noodles and stir to coat the pasta.
- To assemble, add half of the noodles to a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish. Top the pasta with half of the meat sauce, and then sprinkle half of the cheese over the sauce. Repeat the layers once again.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until all cheese is melted.
- Carefully removed the baking dish from your oven. Serve immediately, or let sit for 5 minutes. We like to serve this dish with a green salad and crusty bread.