Hi everyone! I totally planned on making Tart Tatin today to fulfill my Operation 2013 goals. But that’s just not going to happen. Puff Pastry and I aren’t friends right now. So instead I’m going to teach you all how to make my step-dad’s perfect pie crust. It’s the best. Every time I make it for a pie it comes out perfectly.
My step-dad Rob is an avid cook and sometimes baker. He grew up in Pennsylvania with his grandma cooking Czechoslovakian food. Can you say homemade perogies? YUMMM!!!! He loves to talk to me about cooking and give me tips to try in dishes or give me family recipes to make for my boys. This is one of those recipes.
With Mike being a hardcore pumpkin pie eater, I knew I had to try Rob’s fool proof pie crust to make Mike’s pie this year. Guess what? the pie cam out perfect, and crust – heaven! The crust was tender and flaky, had great flavor, and was just amazing. It was really easy to make. I was a little worried about all the liquid, but I should have trusted in the man. I really like the crust texture the mix of shortening and butter gives the pie dough. You have GOT to try this one!
One Year Ago: Cake Day: An Homage to Sprinkle Bakes
Two Years Ago: Buckeyes
- 2½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup vegetable shortening, in small pieces
- ¼ cup cold water
- ¼ cup unflavored vodka
- In a large mixing bow, combine flour and salt. Add butter and shortening. Using a party cutter or a fork, cut shortening and butter into flour until coarse crumbs form.
- Pour the water and vodka evenly around the bowl - don't just dump the liquid into the middle. Mix dough together until all ingredients are incorporated evenly.
- Divided dough in half. Flatten each half into a circle, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hours (up to 2 days).
- Remove pie dough from fridge and roll to desired thickness. Bake according to pie recipe. **If you are blind baking the dough for a cold pie, bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until edges are golden and center is cooked through.
And since my is always more fun when you share it with your friends, you can grab this free pie printable to spread the love this holiday season. Happy baking!!