Fall is here! And with that, we must make soup! How about some Potato, Broccoli and Cheese Soup!
I live on the East Coast and for some reason we have had some crazy weather! We have had temperatures in the 80’s at the beginning of the week and in the 30’s by the end of the week. Well when those temps hit the 30’s all I want is some comfort food. A big bowl of soup is comfort for me! I will admit to you that I have never made a broccoli type soup before. I questioned should I use fresh, should I use frozen. I really didn’t know. Then I thought about how when I use peas in my soups they are always frozen, so surely I could use frozen broccoli as well!
The best thing about soups is that you can make them a day or two ahead of time. They get better as they sit! So when you see those low temps coming up on the weather channel go ahead and make that soup! Then it will be perfect and just in time! ENJOY!
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 32 ounces vegetable stock
- 32 ounces water
- 2 (12 ounce) bags frozen broccoli
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large pot on medium heat combine potatoes, onions, oil and salt and cook for three minutes while stirring continuously.
- Add broth and water. Cover and bring to a rapid boil cooking for 12 minutes.
- Add broccoli, cover and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Using a potato masher or an immersion blender and puree the soup for about one minute. (I left it a little chunky)
- Boil soup for 25 more minutes with cover off.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Cool and ENJOY!