Hi I’m Kelley from Miss Information, and I am so excited to be visiting WLOW today. Julie and I started blogging about the same time and have become great friends. I especially love our late night sarcasm laden chats through Facebook! I wanted to share with you these fun St. Patricks Day Cupcakes. Julie loves anything Irish.
These are fun to make and have a great surprise inside. The best part is you can make them this kid-friendly way, or if you want to booze them up a bit for adults leave out the filler and put a little Baily’s Irish Cream in the frosting!
You can print the recipe below, but here are the basics. Make a white cake and tint it with green food coloring. I use gel food coloring because the colors are more vivid when the cupcakes are cooked. Spoon batter into muffin cups. I initially wanted to use gold foil cupcake liners but after trying four stores I went with this rainbow striped baking cups from Wilton. After all, the pot of gold is found at the end of the rainbow! After they bake, let them cool completely, not just on the outside but all the way through. I would give them a good hour.
After they are cooled, take a spoon or my favorite new baking tool, a cupcake corer and cut a hole in the middle of each cupcake. This tool works fast, it’s like a cupcake hole punch, it cores a hole right into the middle. You can fill any cupcake with frosting, fruit filling or candy.
I filled these with yellow M&M’s to mimic gold coins. If you don’t want to buy a big pack and pick the yellow candies, you can order just yellow online or get them at your nearest cake or party store.
- 1 box Duncan Hines White Cake Mix
- 1 small box White Chocolate Jello Instant Pudding Mix
- 1 tube green gel food coloring
- Yellow M&M Candies
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Gold Sugar Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare Cake mix as instructed on box and add the packet of unprepared jello instant pudding mix.
- Mix thoroughly and squeeze in the entire tube of green gel food coloring. Blend well, scraping down the sides of the bowl so it all get's green.
- Scoop into muffin cups and bake 15-19 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool for at least one hour.
- Cut a small hole in the center of each cupcake and insert 5 or 6 yellow M&M's.
- Using a pastry bag or zip top bag with the corner snipped swirl icing on top of cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with gold sugar.
I hope you will come visit me sometime over at Miss Information and check out some of the other things I share like Easy Recipes, Crafts, Home Tips and DIY!