Guess what! It’s time for another installment of The Secret Recipe Club!
Okay. I’ve been waiting and waiting to get this month’s SRC blog. I first found Gastronomical Sovereignty through my SRC group. And I’ve been stalking Kristy ever since. I love her writing and recipes. I mean seriously anyone who starts a recipe with, “In a big-ass pot, chuck in all your ingredients.” is my kind of gal! As always I was eyeing a few different recipes, like Smashed Flat Chicken with Prosciutto & Sage and French Potato Salad with Feta & Lemony Green Beans. For the first time ever, I made my own decision about which recipe to share. It can happen.
I totally planned on making Kristy’s Best Ever Chicken Noodle Soup, but I procrastinated and the month got away from me. But now I’m kind of glad it did. I would have sat on this cocktail recipe, and that’s just not right. It’s so freaking good!!
The cocktail itself is really light and refreshing from the citrus and ginger, and then you get the perfect amount of sweet and spice from the cinnamon/sugar rimmed glass. It’s seriously amazing. Mike said so too. Two very enthusiastic bartender thumbs up!! I’m totally making a pitcher of these bad boys for our holiday party this year.
Since we liked this cocktail so much, and because I think Kristy is just so swell, I decided to give this drink a snazzy name. Today, I give you the Kristy Kringle – AKA Kristy’s Cold Weather Cocktail. You should totally check out Kristy’s original post too. She explained all the health benefits of this drink…as if I needed another reason to get my hands on one these bad boys.
One Year Ago: Chocolate Sprinkle Sandwich Cookies
Two Years Ago: Tater Tot Casserole
- Three 1" pieces of peeled apple (gala, pink lady, fuji, braburn)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 1/2 ounces Grey Goose Vodka
- 1/2 ounce Gran Marnier (or orange flavored liqueur of your choice)
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice (1 or 2 limes)
- Juice of 1/4 of an orange (about 2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 or 5 ice cubes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Apple chip or lime wedge for garnish, if desired
- In a small bowl, combine cinnamon with 2 tablespoons sugar until. Pour onto a small plate and shake to spread out the cinnamon/sugar evenly.
- In a small bowl, add water and 2 tablespoons sugar. Microwave for 30 seconds; stir. Continue to microwave for 5 to 10 seconds at a time until sugar is melted. Set aside simple syrup.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle apple and ginger until apples are totally smashed. Add vodka, Gran Marnier, lime juice, orange juice, and simple syrup to shaker. Give everything a quick stir.
- Using your juiced orange, run the flesh of the orange along the rim of your cocktail glass. Dip the glass rim into the cinnamon/sugar. Add ice, and strain your cocktail into the glass. Garnish glass and enjoy!