Hi friends! This is Sara again coming to you from The Organic Dietitian. If you don’t know me yet, I focus on real food made with whole ingredients. Today I am so excited to bring you an amazing treat that is made with wholesome ingredients. So tasty yet so good for you that it can be served at breakfast or for dessert.
I have been obsessed lately with baking with unconventional ingredients. Anyone can bake with flour but how about baking with oats or lentils instead? Using ingredients like these are less processed then traditional flour, naturally gluten free, and add more protein. How about them apples? (Or pumpkins).
Blondies are one of my favorites, even more so than brownies. Blondies are typically really high in sugar but here I chose to ditch the refined sugar and use a more natural pure maple syrup. Please make sure that the syrup you use isn’t the high fructose corn syrup kind. The addition of maple syrup makes these just sweet enough without giving you a sugar rush and still keeping it on the healthy side. Just where I like to be!
I of course had to make these pumpkin. It is October after all and why not add a little vegetable to your dessert? The trick and the treat all at the same time. Trick them into eating more vegetables all while they think they are getting a treat.
- 1/2 cup cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix the lentils, pumpkin, maple syrup, egg, and vanilla until combined.
- In a food processor pulse the oats until a flour is formed.
- Add the oat flour to a small bowl and mix in baking soda, salt, pumpkin spice.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- In a lined or greased 9x9 baking pan pour in the batter and level.
- Sprinkle the top with more chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until firm.
- Cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for 3 days or keep in the fridge for up to one week.