These Healthy Cinnamon Pumpkin Muffins are made with whole wheat flour and applesauce for a delicious morning treat!
Within the first two weeks of the school year I found myself baking a fourth batch of chocolate chip banana muffins, my daughter is hooked. I love a good muffin first thing in the morning, they’re quick, delicious and so easy since you can make them a day or two in advance. Since I was getting a little burnt out on the banana muffins everyday I decided to adapt my favorite pumpkin bread recipe into a fun little muffin to add a little variety to our morning routine. Everyone loved them, especially my daughter who couldn’t stop talking about the “yummy oats” on top.
Celebrate Fall and all things pumpkin by whipping up a batch of these Healthy Cinnamon Pumpkin Muffins. The streusel topping is definitely my favorite part of the muffin; I hope you enjoy them as much as we do, happy baking!
- 1/4 c pumpkin puree
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1/8 c + 2 tsp apple sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/4 c unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs oats
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbs coconut oil, solid
- Preheat your oven to 350º F and prepare a 6 well muffin tin with paper liners or baking spray.
- In a mixing bowl combine the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, brown sugar, apple sauce and egg, whisk until smooth.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until it just comes together, it's ok if it's a little lumpy (over working the batter makes tough, chewy muffins).
- In a small bowl make the streusel topping by stirring together the oats, flour, brown sugar and salt.
- Cut the coconut oil in using a fork and stir until the mixture is a sandy texture.
- Divide the batter between the paper liners and top with 1/6 of the streusel topping.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes until a tester comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Cool in the pan 5 minutes, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely or serve warm.