BBQ Chicken Stuffed Yams over Coleslaw are a healthy weeknight dinner that’s full of flavor and a serious crowd pleaser!
I’m right in the middle of leading a 30 day detox for close to thirty people and they are rockin it! There is no gluten or dairy allowed and we are trying to keep sugar intake between 50-75 grams per day. Not as easy as you might think! So that means all the white fluffy stuff is out and even, harder for me, cheese and creamy dairy stuff is out too.
One of the biggest challenges that my detoxers face is learning new ways of preparing food so they won’t feel deprived. And want to continue to embrace eating to stay thin, and feeling great, long after this 30 days is up!
This can seem daunting at first but after a little bit of practice using things like nuts and avocados to mimic cheeses and creams, and different flours and dates for sweeteners it gets fun and just as delicious as many of the old familiar dishes.
So this month I wanted to share a quick and easy dinner that is ‘legal’ on the detox and I hope you’ll be inspired to make!!! There’s a few parts to the entire meal which means a few recipes as well.
I want to share the whole meal with you so this may get a bit lengthy but hang in there, it’s worth it!!!
If you haven’t already caught on, I’m kind of passionate about showing people how to cook to and use food as medicine. It’s become a passion of mine as I see way too many women in their early 30’s and young children with auto immune disease, behavior disorders, and cancer in my practice and I want to help turn this around. And it all does start with what we put into our mouths!
So let’s do this!!!
- 1½ pounds organic boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce (without High fructose corn syrup)
- 4 small yams (or 2 large)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, optional
- ¼ cup green onion, whites removed and thinly sliced
- One 12 ounce can black beans, drained
- 5 cups shredded cabbage
- 5 tablespoons organic mayonnaise (or 3 tablespoons Rice wine vinegar and 2 tablespoons olive oil)
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup green onions, white removed and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup white onion, peeled and minced
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup raw Cashews soaked for 4-6 hours in water, then drained
- ½ – ¾ cup water
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Place scrubbed yams on a foil lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 30-60 minutes, (depending on the size) until soft.
- While the yams are cooking, prepare the coleslaw by mixing all the coleslaw ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Once the yams are done, sauté the chicken in coconut oil over medium heat in large skillet until no longer pink, about 10-15 minutes. Stir in BBQ sauce.
- Process all ingredients together until creamy and smooth in a food processor or Vitamix. Refrigerate 2 hours before using.
- Put about 1½ cups coleslaw on a plate
- Place a whole baked yam or ( half of a large yam), that has been cut open down the center, on top of the coleslaw.
- Spoon ¼ of the BBQ Chicken into the open yam.
- Top with 2 tablespoons black beans, 1 tablespoon green onions, 1 tablespoon cilantro and 1-2 tablespoons either cashew or dairy sour cream.