Can’t get enough of salmon? Salmon is known for its extraordinary amount of omega-3 fatty acid content. It is a dinner favorite but yet it is important to be informed of the good kinds of salmon that are not fished in a way that adversely affects the environment.
Wild Alaskan salmon is a great choice when looking for a sustainable option. Stay away from the salmon farmed in open net pens and instead move towards a more eco-friendly method. The fishery management practices in Alaska are especially efficient, which creates an abundance of Alaskan salmon.
As a college student, I don’t feel the need to spend tons of money on food but when I do I love treating myself to a delicious piece of salmon. Salmon can be whipped up easily for many different occasions. It is a perfect choice to serve at a dinner party or to cook for one, but don’t forget sustainable is always the better alternative!
Reasons why salmon is a healthy choice!
- Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D in salmon can prevent chronic inflammation
- Eating salmon can help cognitive function in the brain!
- Fish oil is good for vision improvement
- High protein in salmon which helps keep hair strong and healthy
- 1 pound salmon filet, cut into 2 equal pieces
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger
- Juice of 1 lime
- Zest of 1/2 lime
- Salt & pepper
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Marinate the salmon for at least 30 minutes. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place the salmon skin down on the pan.
- Bake until the salmon is cooked trough and light pink, about 15 minutes.
- Top salmon with a light drizzle of honey.
About the Author:
Gabriela Sneider is a business development associate for Santa Barbara Fish Market where you can support our local fishermen and buy fresh seafood online or buy fresh fish online. This is a guest post written by her. Recipe was adapted from a recipe provided by Gabriela; photos are property of WLOW.