I had so much fun participating in Tidy Mom’s Love the Pie event with my Banoffee Pie this past year. I knew SoupaPalooza would be just as fun!
I’ll take any excuse I can to try a new recipe. Mike’s not a big soup eater so I can make whatever I want. Score! I saw this recipe in the Taste of Home Christmas 2011 book my step-mom got me for Christmas this year and thought it sounded lovely. And it is. The roasted red peppers give a whole other flavor layer to the tomatoes and artichokes. I love soup. Good thing I bought plenty of bread. 😀
So come join SoupaPalooza at TidyMom and Dine and Dish sponsored byKitchenAid, Red Star Yeast and Le Creuset and share your favorite soup recipe. New, old, your go to bowl of happiness, it’s all fair game.
- 1 – 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 – 7.5 ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, thyme, and oregano
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 – 14.5 ounce cans chicken broth (you could sub vegetable broth too)
- 1 – 14 ounce jar artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a blender, cover and process tomatoes and peppers until pureed.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute the onion, garlic, thyme, basil, and oregano in butter and oil until onion is tender. Be sure to stir often so the garlic does not burn.
- Add the broth, artichokes, cream, milk, sherry, and tomato mixture. Bring to a simmer, cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually add to saucepan. Cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes to until thickened. Add Creole seasoning and pepper. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.