Hold onto your hats kids because it’s time for another round of Secret Recipe Club!!
This month I was assigned Juanita’s Cocina. Oh joy of joys!! I got two blogs I’ve been
stalking reading intently in a row?!?! I can’t wait to keep cooking my way through this group. It’s seriously one great blog after another. I actually just got done Cooking with Jen for Crocktoberfest - where she shared a couple totally delectable crock pot recipes I’ve added to my “To Make” list.
I’ve been reading Jen for close to a year now, little does she know. ;) I love the story of how Jen’s blog name came to be – I mean fajita? Seriously cool and meant to be. I may be a little jealous that she’s friends with Carla from Chocolate Moosey. But if Jen and I can be friends, I’ll be a happy happy girl. :)
When I went searching for a recipe to make this month, I knew I wanted to do something seasonal. Apple and pumpkin inclusive recipes were at the top of my list. First I saw Jen’s Pumpkin Scones, and then there were the Apple Cinnamon Dessert Chimichangas. They were oh so close to my beloved Apple Cheesecake Chimichangas from Applebee’s, but I wanted something just a little different.
Then there they were – Pumpkin Cheesecake Chimichangas. Everything happy and fall in one bite. A cinnamon-sugar crunchy tortilla crust filled with creamy no-bake pumpkin cheesecake filling. Think pumpkin cheesecake churro. Heaven!! You may notice there is no caramel sauce on my chimis, I
may have messed up my caramel sauce liked the churro idea so much that I didn’t want to mess with a good thing. And if you’re not reading Jen already get off your butt, head over to Juanita’s Cocina and get on it!!
One Year Ago: Pumpkin Butterfinger Cookies
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1//8 teaspoon allspice
- Five 6-inch tortillas
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- ½ cup sugar + 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Caramel sauce for drizzling, store-bought or homemade
- In a medium bowl, beat heavy cream until it begins to thicken. Add powdered sugar, and beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, ¼ cup sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Add pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and all spice; beat until smooth. Fold whipped cream into pumpkin mixture until well combined.
- Refrigerate about 4 hours, or until cheesecake is firm.
- When cheesecake is set, heat ½" oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Mix ½ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon in a bowl, and pour evenly onto a plate. Set aside.
- Place about ¼ cup cheesecake on the lower ⅓ of a tortilla. Fold the bottom edge up away from you and over the filling, then fold in both side edges, and finally roll the burrito away from you until closed.
- Fry the burritos in hot oil for 30 to 45 seconds per side, until the tortilla is crispy and golden.
- Immediately transfer to a paper towel lined plate, and drain briefly. Roll each chimichanga in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place chimichangas on a plate to rest.
- Refrigerate chimichangas at least 2 hours (to overnight) to let the filling set up again.
- To serve, cut chimichangas in half at an angle with a serrated knife and drizzle with caramel sauce, if desired.