I have have been wanting to make this recipe forever y’all. My mom made this cake one night when we came over to dinner, and now I fantasize about it.
Originally, I was going to make Red Lobster Knock Off Parrot Bay Coconut Shrimp for this GYCO. But, I totally procrastinated this post. I have some shrimp and coconut, but nothing I need for the dipping sauce. What was I thinking? Ugh.
Plan B. My favorite coconut cake. I lucked out and had almost all the ingredients. I got resourceful and threw together a substitute for the sweetened condensed milk – how did I not have any just waiting for me?!?! Point being, I love this cake and I’m sure you will too. And I totally have plans to hoard the whole things and not share with anyone. Ha!
- ⅔ cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1¾cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 4 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 – 5 ounce can evaporated milk
- ⅓ cup sweetened conensed milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1½ teapsoons vanilla
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to sugar mixture, alternating with water, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- Grease and flour a 13″ x 9″ baking pan. Spoon batter into prepared baking dish, and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Poke holes in the cake’s surface. Combine evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk; spoon evenly over warm cake and allow to soak in. Let cool to room temperture.
- Beat whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Fold in ¾ cup coconut. Spread on cake. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup coconut.
- Refrigerrate before serving and store in fridge.