I feel a little drained lately. All my careful planning is slowly going out the door. I haven’t posted on Thursday in a couple weeks, but I’m still taking pictures – when I can remember. And I hardly linked up to any parties this past week. It was a very offline week.
I should have known this was coming. I went from stay-at-home mom with plenty of nap time to blog, comment, and link up to full-time working mommy, starting my Master’s degree, and needing my “spare” time for papers and a few precious hours with my boys. I just feel blah about not being as blog present as I once was. I think the biggest factor right now is my Contemporary Business class. Before I started school (I never thought I’d say that again), I had time in the evenings to get on and set up blogs for the week. Now I’m reading, answering discussion questions, and procrastinating my papers.
I should be writing my paper right now, but I’d rather be here…writing this post and venting a little. I have until 11:59pm tonight to turn everything in, but Mike and I have plans for a long over due date night. This is my last weekend off until June 30th. When July starts I’ll have a brand new work schedule, and I have no idea what it will be. At least I’m good at making myself and the family happy. I still have that. :)
Truth be told, I didn’t even start making the cookies for this post until 2 hours ago. I was seriously debating making them at all, but Sunday posts are my favorite since deep down I can’t live without sugar. These cookies are happy and bright and I like them a lot. They’re like a little sweet lemony biscuit cookie thing. And It doesn’t hurt that their name makes me want a cocktail.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup shortening
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup shortening
- ¼ cup warm milk, divided
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- Extra fresh lemon zest for garnish, if desired
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl. Beat in shortening on low speed until completely blended into flour mixture. Add milk, egg, lemon zest, and lemon juice; mixing until just blended.
- Roll dough into 1″ balls and place 1″ apart on a greased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool for 1 minute on baking sheet, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat powdered sugar, shortening, 2 tablespoons milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a medium bowl on low speed until blended.
- Gradually beat in remaining milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Dip cooled cookie tops into frosting. Allow excess frosting to drip off cookie before turning right side up. Sprinkle cookies with lemon zest, if desired.