I’ve been wanting to share that picture forever! Today is totally the right day.
Today I give you – Chocolate Jack Daniel’s Cupcakes!
You heard me. After Mike saw this PIN from my cupcake board I was obligated to make these cupcakes. Being the amazingly wonderful friend that I am, I sent some of these cupcakes – in cups – to my friend Dale in NY. I didn’t tell Dale what was coming. I just sent him a teaser picture.
Now, I need you all to understand, this is what I live with everyday. Mike’s never-ending, ever growing liquor cabinet. So when I say I like to drink or that I like to cook with booze, I’m really trying to deplete the stock.
Okay. I’m better now.
These cupcakes are so good, Dale even sent me a thank you card he made himself.
This is like my favorite card EVER!!
Chocolate Jack Daniel’s Cupcakes
Serves: About 18 cupcakes
- Jack Daniel’s Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup super strong coffee
- 1/2 cup Jack Daniel’s green label whiskey*, plus more for shots as you bake
- 1 cup buttermilk**
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Dark Chocolate Whiskey Ganache:
- 16 ounces 60% cocoa Ghiradeli chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted, butter melted
- 1/4 cup Jack Daniel’s green label whiskey
- Dark Chocolate Whiskey Buttercream:
- 1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 – 3 ounce package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 cups Dark Chocolate Whiskey Ganache
- 1/2 cup sifted dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Jack Daniel’s green label whiskey, or more – to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, stir in flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Ina separate bowl, combine the eggs, coffee, whiskey, buttermilk, and oil.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into prepared cupcake cups, about halfway full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until the top spring back when lightly pressed, and a toothpick inserted in the center some out clean.
- Cool cupcakes completely.
- Place the chocolate in a heat proof bowl and set aside.
- Heat heavy cream in a saucepan until just boiling. Pour over chocolate.
- Cover chocolate and cream for 2 minutes to allow chocolate to soften. Uncover and stir with whisk until smooth and silky.
- Stir in butter until fully incorporated.
- Stir in whiskey until fully incorporated, cool completely.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter and pudding mix together on medium high speed for 3 minutes or so.
- Turn off, add the ganache, cocoa powder, and heavy cream. Beat for another 3 minutes – starting at low speed and gradually increasing the medium high speed.
- Add powdered sugar a little at a time. Beat on medium high for at least 5 minutes.
- Beat in 1 1/2 tablespoons whiskey.
- Cut out the center of each cupcake top; set aside the cut-out pieces.
- Fill the cupcake with chocolate ganache.
- Cut saved pieces so they are a thin lid for the cupcake.
- Pipe buttercream onto cupcake to seal in ganache.
- Hide the cupcakes so you don’t have to share with anyone!!
*You can use Black Label Jack Daniel’s too, no biggie
**If you don’t have buttermilk, mix 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoons lemon juice and let it sit for a few minutes.
I made you all a fancy label in case you decide to serve these as a cupcake in a jar.
Happy booze in dessert Sunday!